How it all began...
In 1946, shortly after the end of World War II, the two cousins Adil Besim (born in Vienna as Adolf Böhm) and Friedrich Langauer, who had studied business, opened a small rug shop in downtown Vienna. In 1951, the shop relocated to the Graben, one of Vienna’s most famous streets.
In 1956, Ferdi Besim and Fritz Langauer, the shop owners’ sons, joined the family business.
Over the decades, “Adil Besim” grew to become Austria’s largest rug specialty shop with five locations as well as its own rug washing facility and repair shop.
In 1985, the founders’ two grandsons, Omar Besim and Udo Langauer, joined the company.
In 2000, the two families mutually agreed to part ways on amicable terms. As part of splitting up the company, Fritz Langauer took over Oritop in Zurich, which relocated to Vienna in 2005. In 2008, Langauer’s son-in-law Christoph Ziereis joined the company and now serves as its managing director. Fritz Langauer is still active in the company and provides valuable advisory support.
Udo Langauer went on to start his own company, which deals exclusively in high-quality old and antique rugs and carpets. He has also been holding internationally renowned auctions since 2013. His warehouse is located on the premises of Oritop in Brunn am Gebirge, a suburb of Vienna.